State nomination numbers for July 2017 are available. Insights from these are as follows:
- ACT: a small number of 190 nominations were approved.
- NSW: a large number of 489 nominations were approved, but only a small number of 190 nominations. NSW has not yet released its State migration program and so we expect 190 nominations to increase in number after this.
- Northern Territory: nominations for both 190 and 489 visas being issued. Still to update their State migration plan
- Queensland: a very large number of 190 and 489 nominations being issued.
- South Australia: a large number of 489 nominations being issued compared to 190 visa nominations. Last year, there were about 50% more 190 nominations issued as compared to the 489 visa. So it seems like there has been a change in policy by SA.
- Tasmania: has seen a large number of nominations. More 489 than 190 but this is consistent with last year.
- Victoria: a very large number of 190 nominations issued – no 489 nominations.
- Western Australia: zero state nominations issued – consistent with WA tightening their program after the recent state election.
State Nominations by Visa Type and State – July 2017
State Nomination is very beneficial when applying for General Skilled Migration. Even though the State Migration Plans only reopened in July 2017, there have already been some changes announced by various States and territories.
ACT Offshore Program Closed
Effective 23 August 2017, the ACT offshore program will be more limited.
If you are living overseas, you will need to show “close ties” to the ACT – this could be either:
- A job offer in your nominated occupation in the ACT; or
- Close family living in ACT for the last 12 months and who are Australian Permanent Residents or Citizens.
Queensland Suspends Processing State Nominations in 24 Occupations
Business and Skilled Migration Queensland (BSMQ) announces on 21st August that they would temporarily suspend processing of nominations in 24 occupations.
The suspension will be until further notice, so it is not yet clear if processing will recommence at some stage during the 2017-18 program year.
Occupations were removed in the following fields:
- Hospital and Retail Pharmacists
- Mechanical Engineers
- Public Relations
- Interior Designers
- Insurance Agents
South Australia Program Filling Fast for Popular Occupations
South Australia has been very active in nominating applicants. There are a number of IT specialisations which are now on the “Special Conditions Apply” list – this means that they are only available if you have close ties to South Australia:
- 261111 ICT Business Analyst
- 261112 Systems Analyst
- 261313 Software Engineer
- 263111 Computer Network and Systems Engineer
Other occupations which are now on the “Special Conditions Apply” list include:
- 224712 Organisation and Methods Analyst
- 232311 Fashion Designer
- 312211 Civil Engineering Draftsperson
- 312912 Metallurgical or Materials Technician
State nomination gives a huge advantage when it comes to applying for General Skilled Migration. However, the requirements change quickly and opportunities may only be available for a short period of time.
We are Bangalore based immigration consultants with a combined experience of more than 15 years. Call us TODAY for a quick check on your eligibility and a basic understanding of how the immigration process works! At extremely competitive fees we offer excellent services and value for your money!