Are you studying in Australia now? Would you like to study in Australia in the future? Are you considering the prospect of becoming a permanent resident (PR) in Australia? As a PR visa holder, you may not be a citizen but you get a permanent visa. There will not be any restriction with respect to living, working, and studying in Australia and you will also be eligible for most of the entitlements and rights enjoyed by Australian citizens. Further, PR visa holders are given access to Medicare, the national health scheme of the Australian Government. However, the loan programme for completing higher education (HELP), which enables students to defer the tuition fees to be paid for tertiary education, is available only to Australian citizens.

How Can International Students Become a PR visa holder

International students can apply for PR status after graduation. However, they have to ‘express interest’ through the SkillSelect migration program of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. SkillSelect, an online service, allows them to get a skilled visa.  Their student visa Australia may not be helpful in this regard. Graduates applying for PR should provide the following:

  • Personal details
  • Education and work experience details
  • A nominated occupation
  • English language proficiency
  • Details with respect to skills assessment for the nominated occupation
  • Information about business/investment experience

The Skilled Independent visa is the best option for graduates as it allows them to live as well as work as a PR. The points-tested visa is for skilled workers in the age group of 18 to 49 years that are not sponsored by a family member, an employer, or nominated by a state/territory government. In addition to submitting an Expression of Interest, applicants are required to undergo skills assessment.

New Pathway for International Students to Become PRs in Australia

In September last year, Western Australia released a new pathway for international students to become PRs in Australia. Eligibility criteria include the following:

  • Minimum 2 years of University study at the post-graduate level in Western Australia
  • Proof of work experience
  • Proof of proficiency in English
  • A full-time job offer on a contract for 12 months
  • Proof of having sufficient funds
  • An occupation as per the New Graduate Occupation List

Venturaworld can assist you in finding the best University for you. You can also take advantage of the 20 per cent scholarships to study in Australia (Bachelors and Masters programmes), especially in Western Australia. We can also assist you if you want to apply for Australian visa.

To apply for PR status you need to follow several steps. It can be confusing. Drop in your query and we will be happy to assist you in the process. We also work with MARA Consultant and we can assist you with the best possible solution making it easier and less stressful for you. Call us on 080 49016425 or submit your query and we will call you within 24 hours.